About Us

T R A N S F E R S

Finding that there is a lack of support for affordable high resolution transfers, I began researching my own ways to do it. I shot a few short films and soon thereafter other filmmakers began approaching me wondering how I got my super 8 to look so good... 5 years have passed and with the support of other cinematographers, I created our little studio called Frame Discreet. Our custom super 8 and 16mm transfers have us trusted by archivists and filmmakers all across North America.

C I N E M A T O G R A P H Y

Our team of cinematographers (listed below) act as a collective, inspiring each other on and off set. We have a full range of experience working on features (Max Payne, The Hulk) to music videos (Hayden, Emily Haines), to Documentaries (CBC, YTV, MTV, Bravo!). Having our own gear and being able to supervise transfers in house allows us the freedom to create desireable 'film looks' at a much more affordable rate. In the end, we're trying to make it easier to collaborate, work with film and keep doin' what we love.

Questions? info@framediscreet.com.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Transfer Samples - super 8 / super 16




Montage of footage from Kelly + Maya's visit to Toronto. The super 8 footage has a soft glow and diffused effect to it. Shot at 18 fps super 8, transferred at 15fps for a slight slo-mo feel. 16mm was shot at 24fps, transferred at 18fps to also have slight slo-mo. Nice for a 'memory feeling'.

I rate the 3374 b/w high contrast at 150 ASA for best results. If I want it a little more contrasty (blow out the highlights a little more, bleaching the skin tones, I'll rate it at 100-125).

Camera: Beaulieu 4008 ZMII 6-66 schneider zoom, Bolex super 16 - 16-100 Switar zoom
Stock: Ektachrome 64T, 250d V3 (7207), 3374 high con
Processing: Exclusive Film and Video, Niagara Custom Lab
Transfer: Frame Discreet - colourist Justin Lovell
Cinematographer: Justin Lovell

No comments: